During the summer, electric bills can reach sky, but there are some simple energy saving techniques that can help you to lower electricity bills effectively in the summertime. For best results, implement more than one method mentioned here. If you are trying to lower down costs at home or work, have a talk with your family members, roommates, or coworkers so they also know how to save energy.
Cut down on energy leaks. This includes turning off lights and other electronic devices. Always remember to shut down the lights before you leave the room. Unplug electronic devices that aren’t being used, such as mobile phone chargers, small devices like toasters, or power strips that provide power for various devices.
- Big-screen Talevisions, DVD players, digital decoratives, and other small devices use more energy than we realize.
- Unplugging an device is best way to cut off bill because certain devices use energy even if they are turned off.
- Always remember to consult with your roommates or coworkers before unplugging a shared device.
Spend time outdoors. Spending a lot of time within your house will naturally lead to higher energy costs as you will be using lights, electronics, and air conditioning. Spending more time outside the house means you can turn off indoor electronics, and in the process, you will have fun going to the beach & you will collect memories, the park, the movies, and so on. Always remember to turn off all electronics before leaving the house.
Close blinds, storm windows, or shades during the day. The sun heat can warm up a room very quickly. Keeping the sun away from shining into windows will cut down on cooling costs, and many stores sell curtains which are specifically designed for this purpose.
Use fans instead of air conditioning. Cool down your house in the early morning by putting a box fan in the window and opening up another window at the opposite end of the house, in addition turn on ceiling fans. Box fans sit perfectly in almost every window and help cool air to come inside.
- Most central air conditioners are aided with internal fans to help circulate the air properly in your house while reducing your need to use the air conditioner. Turn the fan on “auto” mode.
- Using fans at night will help natural breeze to cool down your house; but this is going to work only if you live in an area that drops in temperature at night.
- Turn the fan directly towards yourself or guests if the outside temperature is very high.
Use air conditioning efficiently. Set the thermostat to 78, and don’t lower it. You can turn the air conditioning off at night or in the early morning. you should invest in an energy efficient air conditioner, these are 10-15% more efficient.
- The smaller is the difference between the outdoor and indoor temperatures, the smaller will be your bill.
- Do not place devices that give off heat, such as lamps or TVs, near an air conditioner’s thermostat.
Use electricity during off-peak hours. If you are using electronic devices like a washer and dryer, computers or televisions, and air conditioning try to use them during off-peak hours like early in the morning or late at night. Electrical companies charge less for energy consumption during off-peak hours.
- It is recommended to wait until or after 6 pm to cook, do laundry, or wash dishes when the temperature is over 90 degrees.
Try to contact your local electrical company for more information on local peak hours
Contact your local electricity company. The company that provides your area with electricity will vary depending on your location. If you have settled recently, use search engines to type in the name of your area and the words “electricity company” to see which company is providing you with electricity.
- Ask about discounts you can receive. you can ask for help with your bill year-round if you are in a low-income household category, or disability, or have a limited income for other reasons. A representative of your electricity company will guide you with discounts which are available.
Use energy efficient light bulbs. CFL and light emitting diode (LEDs) bulbs are more popular nowadays as they are more efficient than traditional incandescent bulbs because they consume less power. all local hardware stores have these bulbs available for purchase.
- Check lamps and other lights of your house to see if you are using any incandescent bulbs.
- Replace all the incandescent bulbs in your house or office.
- CFL bulbs need to be recycled after a period of time.
Use energy efficient devices. Microwaves, pressure cookers, or outdoor grills consume less electricity than stoves and ovens. You can also make use of a clothes-line instead of a dryer. When purchasing new products, always go for energy efficient options