Launch of free JioPhones and pre-bookings:
Reliance Industries Limited (RIL) Chairman Mukesh Ambani made the biggest announcement of the year that is the launch of free JioPhones at the company’s 40th shareholder meeting.
The phone will be an ‘effectively free’ handset as it will come for a refundable price of Rs 1,500. It will have a 2.4 inch screen, 512 MB RAM and 4GB memory.
Timeline of JioPhone launch:
- Announcement – July 21, 2017
- JioPhone testing – August 15, 2017
- JioPhone pre-booking – From August 24, 2017
- Availability of JioPhone – 1st to 4th September 2017 (official date not yet announced)
Online Registration Procedure:
- Go to the official page of Reliance – https://www.jio.com/
- Click on the tab ‘Keep me posted’
- A pop up page will appear with a form
- Fill the form with details such as your name, email ID, phone number, postal code etc.
- Click on the submit button
- Customers can place order by using the ‘My Jio App’ in smartphones
- Customers can also approach nearest JIO store and register themselves by submitting their Adhaar card details.
USP of Reliance JioPhones:
- The phone has its own digital assistant along with the support for voice commands.
- The phone supports for voice inputs in 24 Indian languages including English and Hindi.
- It will connect to any kind of television even in CRT units.
- Unlimited voice and data for Rs 153 per month only.
- The phone will have NFC feature by the end of this year.
AK Prabhakar, head of research at IDBI Capital Market, had told NDTV earlier that, “The JioPhone launch is very good for the market. The Telecom companies can bring handset costs down”.
“So far there is no impact on our sales. We think it will affect our market as a short term hiccup once the JioPhone is out but it will not be anything severe”, Itel Mobile senior vice president Arijeet Talapatra said.