Deciding if body temperature of 99 is normal:
Let’s go back to the origin of the average body temperature 98.6 or 99. Carl Reinhold August Wunderlich, a German physician arrived at the normal human body temperature in 1868.
While the average was 98.6, he did notice that body temperature varies from person to person and also vary during different parts of the day.
The thing is that the temperature reading alone may not be of much significance unless it comes with a spectrum of symptoms.
98.6 is just an average:
Dr. Sharaang Sachdev, Consultant, and Coordinator – Emergency, Dharamshila Narayana Hospital say, “People think that fever is bad but it is body’s normal response.
- Our temperature normally varies during the day.
- It is lowest in the morning and little higher during the late afternoon.
- Hence, people in the working population shouldn’t worry too much about 99 body temperature unless they have a severe infection.”
Some factors in which the average temperature depends are:
Method of measurement:
How you measure body temperature also plays a vital role. It depends on whether you are using oral thermometers, rectal or ear ones.
- In children, a body temperature of 99.7 degrees F using oral or armpit thermometer is a fever.
- For adults too, it will be 99.7 degrees or F.
- Rectal temperature has to map a temperature of 100.4 degrees F or higher.
Age as a factor for body temperature:
“Age tends to drive down temperature, so an older person with a temperature of 99 may be sick, while a younger one with the same temperature can be perfectly healthy”, said Jack A. Yanovski, chief of the Section on Growth and Obesity at the Eunice Kennedy Shriver National Institute of Child Health and Human Development in Bethesda
Normal Food Intake:
It is very hard to define a normal amount of food and nutrition intake. Different children have different metabolic rates and activity levels, and children do not grow at the same rate every day.
It is normal for a baby to sleep eighteen hours out of twenty-four. It applies that sleep as it does to fever—there is a wide range of what normal children require in order to function normally.